How is everyone doing there in Utah? I hope that you guys have not had as much rain as we have had this week. About three days ago lots of Fiji was flooded with about 1 to 5 feet of water. They said that we were about to have a Cyclone but it never happened. All that we had was a depression with lots of rain for about three days. It was not just a small drizzle, it was like someone opened the tap and it all came out for a constant three days. Many of our ward members had their houses flooded and they are still cleaning them up as of right now. There was about five families that got their houses flooded. We were lucky that nothing happened to us. We are way high up on the hill. All the missionaries are safe and the cyclone did not end up happening. Everyone was worried but God helped us.
As for the week, It was a really good one! It was just another week as a missionary. Eat, teach, and sleep. As for me and my health, everything is going good. Nothing is really new with me. We did get to find a couple more people to teach this week. Yesterday, we were just walking down the road and we had nothing to do. I told my companion that we can just knock on doors and talk to people. The first house that we knocked on we met with this 17 year old kid named Jareel. We told him who we were and he already knew that we were missionaries from the LDS church. He invited us in and got his father also to meet us. As we were talking to him, we found out that he had met the Elders in the past, about 2 years ago. We asked how he liked it and he said that he really liked it but that they just stopped coming. He said that he went to mutual a couple of times and really liked it. He did not ever go to church. So we taught them just a little bit about the first lesson, God, families, and how the church blesses the family. We asked him if we could come back another day and he said yes. The day that he chose, he was going to go to a rugby tournament. His dad reminded him that he had that and he said he does not care, he wants to meet us instead! The thing you have to know is that rugby is a big thing and the team from New Zealand. So I think that he really did feel something when he was taking the lessons in the past and now he wants to learn more.
It was kind of weird how we found him. We were going to see a less active but he was not there. Elder Arthur asked what we could do and he said he did not know. I suggested to him that we can just knock on doors. He did not really want to because he did not know what to do, and has never done it. So I told him to pick a house while following the spirit. He asked me to show him. As we were walking down the road, I was looking at all the houses and his house just stood out to me. I don't know how I knew it but I just had a feeling to go there. As we walked up and said "Bula," he came right to the door and knew right away who we were, invited us in, and wanted to learn more. It is so cool to see this here. You can just tell when people are ready to hear what you have to say and are excited to hear about it. It is God preparing the hearts of them that are willing and open to learn.
We were able to have 2 investigators this week attend church. We did not get any new investigators to church but they are the ones that we are preparing for baptism in the next few weeks. As a matter of fact, we are going to be having a baptism this week for Jobe. Man, I am so excited for him to accomplish this milestone in his life. I remember the first time that we met him, he did not really seem to want to listen but something inside of him changed. After the third lesson, he had the desire to be baptized and to eventually go on a mission. We have been seeing him pretty much every day. We are so proud of his decision and we know that it is the right thing for him. He is ready to be baptized.
The next baptismal date we have is Anarae. He is moving along just great. He is doing everything that we are inviting him to do and is keeping all the commitments we leave with him. It is good that he is living with a member that is there to help him and tell him what he has to do to help him move on in the church and she is there to help answer any questions. This week we had the opportunity to teach him about the Gospel and how it will bless his life. One of the biggest testimony builders for me this week was when we were teaching him about this lesson. We taught it is 2 lessons. First, we taught about faith and repentance. Second, baptism and the Holy Ghost. Every time we bring up the subject of baptism, his face just brights up. He looks at us and just smiles. I feel that every time we bring it up or say it, he just feels the spirit. He did have lots of questions about it and why we need to be baptized the way we do because he was baptized by sprinkling. So he had lots of questions about that and what would happen if he backslides, could he be baptized again? But we cleared it all up and his wife helped us out and is explaining it to him even when we are not there. I wish that every investigator would have this same expression every time we talked about baptism, just filled with the spirit kind of look. I know that the Holy Ghost can really help every one out in the lives and change them.
Well that is pretty much all of our investigators that we saw this week. We are in the process of finding more so that we can replace the ones that are going to be baptized with new ones. I know that we are going to have to keep working hard and trust in God enough to put those people in out path to hear about the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Also this week, I have been really into the Book of Mormon. I have to admit that it is the first time where am actually understanding everything that I am reading. I know that I have read it 4 times already but this time is the first time where it is actually sticking. I am all fine until I get to the point where Alma comes in and all the wars. But as I have been reading it this week, it is like it is actually happening inside on my head. I can see everything that is going on just like a movie. Maybe it is because my mind wants to watch a movie so bad that it just has to make one up of of things that I read. No, but I seem to be understanding it more now and can see the importance of it and how it can really relate to our lives and it is not just an old book that is written just for old people. It is written for everyone to read and find out what is in the future for you if and if don't follow Jesus Christ. I encourage everyone to read it and to really try to understand it. It really true and helps everyone know what is in store for them in this life and the life to come.
I want to let everyone know that I know that this church is true and that the Book of Mormon is the true word of God. I know that if we read it with a willing heart and are really wanting to understand it, he will be made known unto us. I know that I am doing the Lords work here in His small vineyard called Fiji. It is Him who is directing His work and is Him who is leading the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints. We have a living prophet to help us receive the things He wants us to know. This is truly the Church of Jesus Christ. I love you all and I miss you all so much. Time is flying by too fast. I do not want to leave here because it is so great. Keep up the good work and always strive to be on the straight and narrow path that leads to the Kingdom of God.
With much love,
Elder Grotepas
No comments:
Post a Comment