The Waila Boys

The Waila Boys

Clock

Suva

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Area 4, Week 9 - Naduna, Vanua Nevu, Fiji 7/20/14

Dear Family,

How is it there in Utah? I hope that everything is going good with you all. I know that for me, I have had a really good week and it has just flown by. It was yet another really fast week and we had quite a bit of success. I am doing really good. My clothes and my health are good. I think that I have adapted to the weather here. It is kind of weird, I have forgotten what the cold feels like. I am getting cold now when it is like 70 to 75 degrees. I can hardly sleep because it is so cold. I have been so used to the hot and humidity that when it gets cold, I cannot stand it. I am going to have a rude awakening when I come home in the middle of the winter. I am not really looking forward to that at all!

Like I mentioned, we had a really good week. We did a lot of running around for a couple of days due to one of the members in our branch getting ready to go to the temple for her first time.  We had to help coordinate the interviews for her mother to take her to the temple. The morning before they were going to go, she found out that her temple recommend had expired and that she needed a new one. So for half of the day, we coordinated to get this done for her. We picked up President to do the interview. Then we had to wait for one of President Layton's assistants to come and interview her. But it was all good. She got her recommend and was able to take her daughter to the temple for the first time.

We did have one really big miracle happen to us this week that was amazing.  So, back to the previous story when we found out that we had to  arrange for this woman's interview for her temple recommend, we had to call Elder Walker and ask him what was best for us to do. He told us that our Branch President had to interview her and that he himself would come down and interview her. He had to drive about an hour and a half to come down. In an effort to find our branch president, (he was out cutting sugarcane), we called his phone to see where he was. Now, this is where the miracle starts. Our branch president accidentally left his phone at one of our former investigator's homes that he was working for. Also, our branch president and his family were getting really close to the family and even sharing a little bit from the Book of Mormon and the Liahona. We had previously dropped the family because they were not keeping there commitments. But when we had called our branch presidents phone number, the wife of the former investigator happened to have his phone and answered it.  She began telling us how she felt about our church!

She told us that the previous night, she had a dream that she saw an angel of God come down to her and tell her that the true church is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. She said that it was the most wonderful thing that she had ever seen. She woke up and just knew that it was true. She then picked up the Book of Mormon that one of the members were sharing with her.  It was sitting in her front room and decided to read it. She knew right after she picked it up and read it that it was true. She told us this all over the phone and we said that we were going to be there in a couple minutes to see her and to see if our branch president was there close by.

When we got there and saw this lady, she had the biggest smile on her face and she seemed so happy. She told us the story again and it just blew me away. We had not seen her in about 3 months. Back then she was really hard hearted and did not even what to listen to what the Elders had to say. She was just being nice and let them in. She said that she did one time tell the elders of that they were not even interested. She apologized for all of those times that she was like this and now she testifies that this is the true church. She said that her and her whole family are going to be coming to church this week. And the amazing thing is that they did come to church and they loved it!  Her, her husband, their two small children, and their three week old baby were all there. She even wants to be baptized now.

It was so cool to see how the spirit works. Sometimes the spirit does not work right off the bat. Sometimes it takes a while to get your answer. He waits for you to be ready, not for Him to be ready for you. We did not even see them for about a month and she knew that it was true. She even made the decision to come to church. This really made my testimony stronger on how the spirit works. It is there, we just have to wait for the answer and keep preparing ourselves. Things happen for a reason. President left his phone at their house that day for a reason!

But that was one of the greatest things that happened to us this week. We were also blessed to have someone give us more money as we were shopping last week. As we were checking out, one lady put out her hand to me and said "Here." I put my hand out because I had no clue what she wanted and she gave us the money. I said no, and she forced us to have it. The cool thing is that she was not even a member of our church. She used to live in France and she had some friends from there and did the same thing that we did. She said that she loved and admired what we did and said that she wants to give us the money. Man, it was good to think that God is really looking out for his servants and there are good people to help us out. I know that when I get home, I am going to try to help out every missionary that I see.


Well that was pretty much all the big things that happened to us this week. We had a good week and we are working really good together. This is one of my favorite companionship's. I know that this is the true church of Jesus Christ. I love you all and I wish you all a good week.

Love,
Elder Grotepas

Us at one river in Korotari


We are trying to teach this little girl (Rosi) something


No comments:

Post a Comment