The Waila Boys

The Waila Boys

Clock

Suva

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Area 1, Week 6 - Nasinu, Fiji 4/14/13

Our water filter after one month - to purify our "Fiji water"

Dear Mom and Dad,



The language is still coming along. I think that Fijian is a lot easier to understand than it is to speak. For the most part now, I can understand a lot of what people are saying. It is really hard to speak it though. I need to work more on the language, so I think this week I am really going to speak it more. Most of the time we speak English to each other.



We had a lot of good food this week. We have had pizza, chicken, spaghetti, and of course fish and curry. I think that my favorite food here has got to be curry. Some of it is really good if they make it the right way. Most of it is all right. The only bad thing about it is the chicken in it.  Most of it is, I don’t even know. Who knows from what part of the chicken it came from. For all I know is that it could be the brain!


We have had another baptismal interview with a 17 year-old young man named Marika. He is from a part member family and he wants to be baptized. Elder Ishibash, Smith and Sa'u were the first ones to teach him the first lesson. After that, Ishibashi and me took him in. He is really excited to be baptized!  Both he and Eta are going to be baptized after General Conference on Sunday the 21 of April. It is going to be so cool. I am going to get to baptize Eta. She knows the church is true and that there is a purpose to this life. They are both ready and are very excited!

Well this week I had a lot of fun. We have some good stories! First, a dog bit Elder Ishibashi. We were walking up the stairs to the home of one of our investigators. Their dog was sitting right there on the side of the house. Then out of nowhere the dog got up and started walking towards us. I didn't think anything of it because it was not growling or running. Then all of a sudden it bit him right on the leg. It was not a big bite, but Elder Ishibashi still gave it a good kick right in the head. Come to find out that the dog had just had puppies a couple days before and they were up at the top of the stairs. I think that the dog thought that we were going to do something to them. Nothing happened to Elder Ishibashi, just a couple scratches.

Also this week we have met a new investigator!  The sisters from Samabula have been teaching her the lessons. They now have referred her over to us. We went over there to give her a blessing because she was not feeling the best the past couple of days. When we went over there she shared with us many things. She said that she knows that the church is true and she wants to be baptized. I think the thing that attracted her to the church is the family history program. She says that she is always up there at the mission office working in the Family History Center. She asked Elder Ishibashi if he would hook her up with the genealogy center at BYU Hawaii when he gets home.  She says that they have a lot of Fijian genealogy there in Hawaii. We have learned a lot from her.  She has a passion for the work and says how important it is to do it!

We are teaching this girl named Alisi. She is really good and she says that she wants to be the first in her family to be baptized. We only get to teach her once a week. Right now we are on the second lesson. She has so many questions. She speaks English so I understand everything!  But most of the questions are of deep doctrinal nature. I was amazed that I was able to answer her questions. I didn’t really know that I knew the answer to the question. The spirit was speaking through me.  I know that the spirit will put into your mouth the things that you need to say. I walked out of the lesson thinking, “what did I just say and was what I said clear?”  I know the spirit also testified to her the truthfulness of what we had said.

We went to the mission home this week to practice a song we will be singing at a fireside on the 23rd of this month. President Rasband, and Hamilton are coming to speak to us. It is going to be really cool to have the president of the Seventy come and speak to us. 

I know that I am doing what I am supposed to be doing. I know that the scriptures are the word of God and are such a big help to everyone. I have learned so much the past couple of months.  I know this church is true.

Thank you for everything. I love you all very much and miss all of you. Hope you all have a good week.

Love,
Elder Grotepas

No comments:

Post a Comment