![]() |
| Elder Ishibashi - first companion |
| The sunset in Fiji |
![]() |
| This is our room. We have a fan going all night because it is so hot! |
Bula,
Vakacava tiko? I am doing really well here. I am a little bit
stressed out with the language though. It seems like they are speaking a whole
different language here than they did in the MTC. They talk really fast and it
sounds like all the words are morphed into one word. My companion Elder Ishibashi said that it
takes a couple of months to understand what they are saying. I know that it
will take a little bit of time. I have to admit this is probably the hardest
thing that I have done. We wake up, study, study, study, then go teaching. We
do not have a car so we have to walk everywhere we go. All of our investigators
are all spread out throughout the city. It seems like they are opposite sides
of the town.
It is very hot and humid here.
I am in a town in Suva called Nasinu. We are in a Fijian ward. They
speak a lot of English here. My companion’s name is Elder Ishibashi. He is from Hawaii, born and raised. He has been out for five months.
The
first day that we got here, we had a five-hour bus ride to Suva. Once we got
here (at the mission home) we met the President and got to know him. He is way
cool. We have since been able to go to
the temple with him and his wife. I
really enjoyed that. That first day we
stayed back and got interviewed by the President and the other half went to go
get their sulu’s and sandals. Then we went to the other missionaries’ flats and
stayed with them for the night. The funny thing is that I stayed in the same
flat that I am in now. I did not even have to go anywhere because one of the
Elders that were hosting us ended up being my companion.
Later
that night we went with Elder Smith from California to a member’s house to
teach her two daughters. Sister Sulu is her name. I forgot the girls’ names. It
was weird because it was nighttime and they don’t have lights. There was just a
little lantern in the middle of the floor. Elder Smith taught them about the
Resurrection of Christ. At the end both myself and Elder Heninger bore our
testimonies and we left. It was raining very hard by the time we started to
head back. Once we got back I was soaked.
I didn’t have a sulu yet, I was still in my pants. That night both me
and Elder Heninger were so exhausted that we went right to sleep. That next
morning we got up and went back to the mission home. Then we went to get our
sulus and shoes. Once we got back we had an orientation with
President and were told our assignments. Then we went back to the same
flat and slept there for the night again. I really don’t like our flat because
it has a mouse problem. We have some
traps but they don’t work. They are really smart I guess.
We
do our laundry at our flat. Every flat has a washing machine but not a dryer.
So we let them air dry inside the flat. I really like my companion, he is
really good at teaching and I am learning a lot from him.
My
companion says that it is possible that when I am done training that I could be
training other missionaries right after.
After that night everyone went to their areas. I stayed in the
same area, so I did not even have to move. That day we went to teach a couple
of lessons. I feel bad in the lessons because I do not know what they are
saying and I don’t say anything besides bearing my testimony at the end. My
companion says that that is normal. I think that I will get it.
The other Elders from my MTC district went everywhere. Some went
to other islands and some stayed here in Suva and others to the top of Fiji (Nadi).
We have quite a few investigators and we have one baptismal date
set for the 23rd of March! The only thing (with the woman to be baptized) is that we cannot get her to come to
church. We have a big problem with getting investigators to come to church. I
don’t know what it is but we are really trying to get her to come.
The kids here are very funny. Its kind of sad because they don’t believe dogs and cats have feelings. So they will just kick them, throw them around, throw rocks at them, and beat them. Elder Ishibashi said that in his last area a guy would beat his dog every morning. He would beat it so much it would eventually stop crying. He did that every morning. We were walking down the street two nights ago and we heard a little yelp. We went over there and it was a little pup that was all cut up on the face and ear. I don’t know what happened to it, but it was very sad to see. We went past the area the next day and it was not there so I don't know if it died or it is still alive. It is really sad.
The kids here are very funny. Its kind of sad because they don’t believe dogs and cats have feelings. So they will just kick them, throw them around, throw rocks at them, and beat them. Elder Ishibashi said that in his last area a guy would beat his dog every morning. He would beat it so much it would eventually stop crying. He did that every morning. We were walking down the street two nights ago and we heard a little yelp. We went over there and it was a little pup that was all cut up on the face and ear. I don’t know what happened to it, but it was very sad to see. We went past the area the next day and it was not there so I don't know if it died or it is still alive. It is really sad.
The people here are so humble. The houses are just sheet metal
put together. Most of the Hindi people have the somewhat nicer homes. All of the houses back home would be mansions
to these people. The homes here are no more that two rooms. Most of the people
sleep in the family room and the other room is the kitchen. It is a lot
different than back home. They don’t even really have doors here to knock on. Everyone leaves their doors open during the
day because it is so hot.
We are walking all day.
We ride some buses but not much. The shoes here are terrible. I bought a
pair in the afternoon and by the end of the night they had already fallen
apart. I found a pair of shoes in our
flat that are good for now. The food is really different here. My first night
here the dinner was disgusting. It was a whole fish just chopped in half,
scales and everything. For the most part it has not made me too sick.
Some of the food is really good. They have a lot of curry and rice.
The people here are lot different than in Utah. Everyone says
“Bula” to each other. The Hindi people just say “hi.” The Fijian people are the
nicest out of all of them. The main
cultures here are Hindi, Fijian, and Dogs.
We have a total of 20 investigators. We have one baptismal date set for the 23rd
of March. My first Sunday was crazy. I
had no clue what they were talking about. In our ward, we are going to be fed
by the members every night! The Nasinu
2nd Ward only gets fed a couple times a month. Next letter I will know more about all of our investigators.
It is way fun here. I hope that everything is going good at
home. I love you all lots and miss you
tons. You are always in my prayers.
Love,
Your
Missionary Elder Grotepas


No comments:
Post a Comment